Tuesday 25 February 2014

Lahania, a Study in Doorways...


 I seem to have a thing about doorways. I have a bit of a thing about the village of Lahania too. Quite a few of these shots you could be forgiven for thinking were taken at Lindos, but I'm sure there are many visitors to this part of Rhodes who've never sampled some of the other, less frenetic, villages, where you can stroll the tiny streets even in high season and not be jostling sunburnt shoulders in the process.

So, the other day we were once again drinking in the sleepy environs of Lahania and I whipped out the mobile phone ('cos I'm ever so modern now since I got a new one that takes half-decent photos) and took the ones you see in this post.

Hope you like 'em.



That black line's not a fault in the photo. It's one of those ubiquitous "re-bars".






She appears to be in the habit of getting under an almond blossom tree and saying "snap me, snap me!"


16 comments:

  1. Oh, a man after my own heart. I, too, like photographing doorways. Not so keen on snapping brown plastic barrels though! We share a fascination with Lachania too. I always tell people who don't know the village that it's like Lindos was, before the gentrification process.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always used to say of Dr. Christiaan Barnard that he was a man after my own heart. Fortunately, he never actually got his hands on it. Anyway, "gentrification?" - as my dad used to say, "wash your mouth out with soap and water!"

      Delete
    2. That won't be the unpleasant experience you might expect........mine is olive oil soap from Rhodes!!
      Vicki

      Delete
    3. I give up. You can have the last word!!

      Delete
    4. What......?

      Delete
  2. Another door geek! My husband was veryy excited to see the beautiful pics. I'm rather taken with them too, but that may be because It's9weeks and 5 days to our virgin trip to the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first time on Rhodes eh? Where are you from, and what do they call you. Oh, and where might you be staying?

      Delete
    2. Staying very close to you- by chance of course(. Your info has been invaluable. Thankyou. Doing the independent thing and self catering in Kiotari and car for 10 days to discover the 'real Rhodes' . Di and Dave Clements. Cheshire.

      Delete
    3. Well Di and Dave, tell me the villa because I'm sure to know it. No promises of course, but if it's at all possible to drop by and share a drink for an hour it would be nice. Give me your dates too, just in case.
      John

      Delete
    4. Great offer, thanks, John.
      Staying at Paraktios apartments on the beach- May 5th -15th.
      Guide books are informative but nothing like hearing from the 'locals' . We are not great fans of mass tourism- each to their own- 10 days soaking up the sun, experiencing greek culture/food and exploring ruins will be heaven.
      Plus the odd drink or two....Di

      Delete
    5. I don't think you'll be disappointed, the Parakatios are superb, with a fabulous quiet location just minutes walk for a few traditional tavernas right on the beach. Also 15 minutes walk from our place! We've often said that this place would be just the kind of place we'd have enjoyed staying at if we'd holidayed on Rhodes.

      Delete
    6. Excellent news. Our break is sounding better all the time.Looking forward to seeing you around- wont stray far in the evenings- the days will be for exploring far afield. Dave can navigate the pot holes better in daylight-I hope . Di

      Delete
  3. John, how did you manage to get through Lahania without an encounter with Papa Georgio?
    George.
    Argyll.

    ReplyDelete