Saturday 2 June 2012

A Reeally Good Frappe (Iced Coffee)

 Above: On board the Magellanos, off Stegna

...and Anchored off Tsambika Beach

On my "Aegean Cruise" excursion last Thursday I was talking with one of my guests, a very nice lady from the UK, who asked me, when perusing the chalk-written drinks tariff beside the boat's modest bar, "What's a Frappe? I see it on all the menus and tariffs, but I've never had the courage to ask what it is."

Naturally, of course, I was horrified to think that this lady, who was old enough to have a couple of pre-school-age children, had reached thus far in her life without having enjoyed such a pleasure. Having explained to her what a frappe actually is, it set me to thinking, why should I keep this - one of life's richest, most gorgeous experiences - to myself? After all, if I do say so myself, I make a mean frappe. So as not to take all the credit for this fact, I will interject here that I was taught how to do it by a Greek girl, who'd been making them for a couple of decades already. So she ought to take the credit, Rebekah Tsikola, thanks darlin'!

I've noticed that there are already a bunch of videos on Youtube demonstrating the art of frappe-making and I'm not going to knock the others, as all have their merits, of course. But mine ought to appeal to the Grecophile who may just want to re-create that superb frappe moment when back home in the UK (for example) on a sunny day. And before you say anything, I'd be the first to acknowledge that the UK does indeed get warm (if not actually hot) sunny days sometimes. Rarely it's true, but it's been known.

So anyway, to see me doing my poor impersonation of Jamie Oliver, click HERE folks. Incidentally, I dunno why the video is back to front, but if I can fix it I will. But it's only the tanktop that gives it away really!! Plus, in the UK you may find that it's evaporated milk you need. Here in Greece it seems they label evaporated milk as condensed milk. Thanks to Janet Griffin for flagging that up on Facebook.


15 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous, i'm going to get "The husband" on the case when he gets back from the supermarket. Is your t shirt on inside out or is it a trick of the camera? nice (orange?) shorts.

    Regards
    "Porridge Oats"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've just added a comment about that at the end of the post. It's a quirk of the software (Mac Photobooth) I think, and I'm waiting for someone on the Mac Help Forums to tell me why it happens and how to reverse the image. Mind you, there are those who'll tell you I've always been backward...

      Delete
    2. Yes, i apologise, i was so eager to CLICK HERE i missed it.

      Regards
      Porridge Oats

      Delete
  2. And I know where to get the best frappe I've ever tasted!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modesty forbids me from asking where that might be!

      Delete
  3. As I've only ever had one frappe I think you can draw your conclusions from that!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you got that far through life without having experienced that sensual pleasure (in the correct use of the term of course).

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I got as far as pensionable age before I sampled my first frappe. And, boy, was it a good one! Definitely a convert now.
      Vicki

      Delete
  4. yumyum love frappes, and that one I had last September on a lovely sunny sunday afternoon on Rhodes looking down the valley to the sea was certainly yumscious scrumptious ;) Waiting for the sun to shine again so I can sit in the garden here and sup on one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trevor Mcilveen3 June 2012 at 08:36

    John.We were going to phone you on the boat on Thurday from Agathi beach. We didnt have your mobile no stored in our phone. Now corrected

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to think we could have waved!! Nice boat innit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely boat!! Who was that bloke in the tank top?? (Titter titter). I love a frappe, it just hits the spot when you are people watching.

    Love
    Annette
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Required equipment for the true professional people-watcher.

      Delete
  8. All you need now is a Primani paper bag as it is part of the UK uniform - God Bless Them!!
    Going out tonight, just local to see some sights, a bit of Dad dancing and wobbly folk.

    Love
    Annette
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete